Wednesday, October 28, 2015

I have been...

very productive! I would have said busy. But I truly hate the idea of 'busy' as an excuse to be human, be accountable, and simply care.

View from Harford Village to the Atlantic Ocean (east)

On October 16th I've been on island for 6 months. Which is typically where volunteers hit their slump. Honestly this last month I truly did. Yesterday also marked the 32nd anniversary of America invading Grenada. I believe the heavy energy and ciaos leading up to this even it very much felt on the island. Its widely discussed and talked about, noted in church and discussed on tv and radio. It was not a fun time in the history of Grenada. I hope the energy lightens so I'm able to get back to more work.


And speaking of work, I feel there is so much work to do here and I've only really gotten feel for things. People are calling me out of the blue asking for advice, assistance or to find out more about bees. (This is always the sign new people are looking for to see if they are really 'needed' someplace, once the unknown people start showing up because word of mouth has spread about you) I've been consistent in the last month or so about the schedule of my week. Monday is administrative tasks, reading, and preparing for the rest of the week. Tuesday-Thursday is assisting beekeepers (1-2 per day) in their apiary if/when possible. Friday is in the office in Grenville where new people show up and introduce themselves along with some beekeepers I know, neighbors of the office come in and check on me and I try and make some rounds around town and say hi to the people I know. Also Friday is 'market' day so it's also nice to get some groceries and say hi to the wonderful ladies in the market right next door.


Me and early morning need to make friends, but in the coolness of a rainy morning in the lowland of the country it makes getting out of bed at 4:30-5 am while it's pouring down very hard. Now if it was hot as Senegal where by 9am it's almost unbearable, this would be a blessing and I'd be getting up that early and happy grab a drink of cool water and get it to it before the heat rises past bearable. So instead of 5, 6:30-7 am has been more my norm. I'm work on it...


 I have made some gains with planning of an Introduction to beekeeping workshop and planning some more training for established beekeepers on the island. This should be 'easy' enough to facilitate. But when it takes 2 weeks for me to send a letter to the needed parties to have it printed on letter head, signed by another person and then usually hand delivered or it will be lost in the mail/system of mail. At which time an action can be taken, even though you've discussed it so thoroughly you would think it already all happened. Multiply that on every resource needed. Thank Senegal I am prepared to present anywhere, but having a room and projector is helpful. Done and done, with backups for both as I know most likely I will use the backups.
Flyer for the workshop





















I've added more pictures to my facebook albums and have kept up documenting plants and nectar sources on my instagram along with just life here on the island.

Excited to have some more meetings lined up and contacts being past my way in the business/NGO realm here and will assist me in thinking about planning further out if things go well with training.

I'll post by this weekend an update on my work as I also need to do my monthly report and looking to see what I've accomplished in 6 months and what is realistic in the next 6 months.



No comments:

Post a Comment